The Last Tour of Barack Obama in Cambodia
President Barack Obama visits in Cambodia is the last leg of his tour in Southeast Asia.[TSTs]
Obama has planed to meet with Prime Minister Hun Sen and he is interesting with Human right of Cambodian people during meeting.
When he visited in Myanmar, he want to know about how to develop the country by President.
The first country is Thailand and then Myanmar.
Obama Condemns Libya Attack That Killed US Ambassador
President Barack Obama delivers a statement alongside Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, following the death of the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and others, from the Rose Garden of the White House in Washington (VOA)
WHITE HOUSE — President Barack Obama on Wednesday condemned the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens on Tuesday. Obama also responded to criticism from Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. The White House said Obama spoke with the families of Ambassador Stevens and Sean Smith, another embassy employee who was killed in Benghazi. In the White House Rose Garden with Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by his side, Obama said he ordered steps to enhance security for U.S. diplomats and personnel around the world. The United States, he said, will not rest until those responsible for the killings are brought to justice. “We are working with the government of Libya to secure our diplomats, and I have also directed my administration to increase our security at diplomatic posts around the world. And make no mistake, we will work with the Libyan government to bring to justice the killers who attacked our people,” Obama said.
POIPET BORDER, Action Againts Human Trafficking was Prompted Rising
NAAuthoritarian at Poipet border in Banteay Meanchey province take action to protect people from human trafficking to Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia and South Korea. PPP.
Mok Chito, head of the General Secretariat of the National Police Commissioner’s central judicial department, said 113 people had been arrested in the first eight months of 2012 for involvement in human and sex trafficking rackets. A total of 315 trafficked Cambodians have been repatriated so far – 181 were maids, mostly from Malaysia, Chito said. “Of these victims of human trafficking, 10 were sent directly through a recruitment firm and five through a training centre,” he said. “Their rescue was the result of joint co-operation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Cambodian embassies and NGOs.” Ministry of Interior secretary of state Chou Bun Eng said there were plans to form an inter-ministry committee to further crack down on trafficking.
Cambodia’s police call for casino crackdown
Wednesday, 29 August 2012
By: Buth Reaksmey
Police officials meet with casino operators yesterday in Phnom Penh to discuss crime and security issues at casinos. Photograph: Vireak Mai/Phnom Penh Post
Cambodia’s casino owners need to up the ante on security, the owners of each of the Kingdom’s 61 operating gaming venues were told yesterday at a Phnom Penh meeting called by national police authorities.
Lieutenant General Sok Phal, deputy national police commissioner, said that in recent months, national police have observed an increasing amount of criminal activity in the Kingdom’s casino towns.
“So far, the General Secretariat of National Police Commissioner has observed that there are many criminal offences or other illegal activities happening in casinos across the country. Besides this, some foreigners or criminals have been using the casino as a place to commit human trafficking, kidnapping for extortion, illegal detention or drug trafficking,” Phal said yesterday.
ASEAN needs more funding
Mass Grave Raises Ghosts From The Past
The past came hurtling back earlier this month when a new mass grave was discovered in this village in northwestern Cambodia, one of the bloodiest killing grounds in the country. Like most of Cambodia’s some 300 known mass grave clusters, it is not being investigated or exhumed to find out what happened. (LVS)
It was four gray skulls resting on a bed of jumbled bones that again triggered Chea Nouen’s memories: breast-feeding her baby with her hands and feet shackled; her husband thrown into a pit to be turned into human fertilizer, her own marches to the killing fields _ where she was saved three times by an executioner.
More than three decades after the Khmer Rouge ultra-revolutionaries orchestrated the deaths of nearly 2 million people, or one out of every four Cambodians, this country has not laid its ghosts to rest. Cambodia’s regime prefers to literally bury the past, especially since some of its current leaders, including Prime Minister Hun Sen, were once Khmer Rouge.
But 63-year-old Chea Nouen and other survivors in this small, farming community cannot forget, hold their tears in check or banish the nightmares when they daily tread over the unexamined bones of 35,000 victims and live among restless souls that still hover, they believe, over homes and rice fields. Also unfinished is the pursuit of justice: Neither the three top Khmer Rouge leaders nor local executioners have been punished, with the exception of a controversial jail sentence of 19 years for the former prison chief known as Comrade Duch.
Mass fainting workers again in this month
23-fainting-woman workers in Kampong Chhnang’s M&V garment factory were sent to the hospital this Wednesday, adding the total number of affected workers in August to 67 [Phnom Penh Post]
The second mass fainting in a month at Kampong Chhnang’s M&V garment factory, a supplier for global retailer H&M, saw 23 women taken to hospital yesterday, bringing the total number of affected workers in August to 67. Noun Sam Ol, president of the Free Trade Union at M&V, said yesterday that the women, who were sent home to recover after their hospital visit, had been working multiple overtime shifts, leaving some feeling weak later in the day.Soam Sinath, deputy director of Kampong Chhnang provincial labour department, said the faintings were not caused by the factory but rather the women’s existing health issues. Langdy lost consciousness after several other workers fainted. “This month, I worked overtime until midnight,” she said. “I smelled a bad odour when I was inside the factory, but I do not know what it was. When I left my home, I was in good health, but when I went inside the workplace I was tired and weak.”
British pedophile faces jail, deportation
Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday sentenced a British man to two years in prison, fined him US$1,000 and ordered his deportation upon release for sexually abusing five boys aged from 11 to 15 years old at a pagoda in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district last year.
Judge Yeth Molin said that 46-year-old Ian Paul Bower was ordered to pay compensation of $2,500 to the five victims in addition to the $1,000 fine.
“The Phnom Penh Municipal Court ordered to immediately expel Bower Ian Paul from Cambodia when he completes his jail term,” she read from the verdict yesterday.
Bower had been previously charged with the sexual assault of two brothers in 2007, but Phnom Penh Municipal Court dropped the charge after the victims reversed their statements, child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants said yesterday.
He was previously convicted to one year and six months in prison by a British court in 2001 for sexually abusing a 10-year-old boy in his home country.
Bower has remained free in Cambodia since 2007, working as an English teacher for the Cambodian Air Traffic Service.
Dun Vibol, Bower’s defence lawyer, said that his client did not accept the verdict and had lodged an appeal to the Court of Appeal yesterday.
“I think that the court’s punishment was appropriate for my client and it could be accepted, but his monetary fines are very high,” Vibol told the Post outside the courthouse yesterday.
Peng Maneth, APLE’s lawyer for the five victims, said the compensation ordered was just and applauded the court’s call for deportation, calling Bower a “dangerous man for children”
Cambodia, World Vision announce partnership to combat child sex in tourism
PHNOM PENH, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) — Cambodia’s Tourism Ministry and World Vision-Cambodia on Wednesday signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to forge partnership in combating sexual exploitation of children in tourism.
The MoU was signed between Hor Sarun, undersecretary of state at the Tourism Ministry, and Jason Evans, national director of World Vision-Cambodia, under the witness of the Minister of Tourism Thong Khon.
Under the deal, the ministry and the World Vision will work together with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and Interpol to address the serious issue of sexual exploitation of children in tourism in a dual prevention and protection approach, according to a joint press release.
It said that the World Vision will work with the government of Cambodia and the tourism sector to become more aware of vulnerabilities of at-risk children and support responsible tourism practices that prioritize child protection.
In addition, it is also working in communities with girls and boys, parents and community leaders to build resilience against abuse.